Guest lecture by Thomas Schirrmacher on human trafficking at the University of Cologne
(Bonn, 11.02.2020) The President of the International Council of the International Society for Human Rights (ISHR), Thomas Schirrmacher, gave a lecture on “Human Trafficking – The Return of Slavery” in Lecture Hall XII of the University of Cologne at the invitation of the student association ‘campus connect’.
According to Schirrmacher, “almost all countries of the world have tough laws and penalties against rape, torture and kidnapping or deprivation of liberty”. Forced prostitution covers all three crimes, but is treated much more negligently and punished mildly. Men who use the services of foreign prostitutes should be aware “that there is a high statistical probability that they are involved in these three crimes”.
Using startling facts, he pointed out how widespread and “normal” a criminal parallel world exists in Western societies, in which thousands of young women – often also young men – have to “work” in slavish conditions against their will. Often they would have to be ready 20 to 30 times a day for everything that “customers” want. Many were lured from abroad with false promises, driven into staged debt traps, threatened and exploited. Europe was the centre of these machinations, Germany a main hub. It has the structure of an “industry” in which dizzying sums are earned, which are taken in by the mafia systems – the abused women have virtually no share in these profits.
Book suggestion on the topic:
- Thomas Schirrmacher. Human Trafficking – The Return to Slavery. The WEA Global Issues Series. Vol. 12. Culture and Science Publishing: Bonn, 2013. 96 pp. ISBN 978-3-86269-070-1.
Downloads and Links:
- Photo 1: Guest lecture by Thomas Schirrmacher on human trafficking at the University of Cologne (hall) © BQ/Martin Warnecke
- Photo 2: Thomas Schirrmacher with the organisers of campus connect, far left, the person responsible, Jocelyne Huetz © BQ/Martin Warnecke
- Photo 3: Guest lecture by Thomas Schirrmacher on human trafficking at the University of Cologne (close-up) © BQ/Martin Warnecke
- Photo 4: Guest lecture by Thomas Schirrmacher on human trafficking at the University of Cologne (hall) © BQ/Martin Warnecke
- Cover of the book “Human Trafficking” (jpg)
- The book “Human Trafficking”: https://iirf.eu/journal-books/global-issues-series/human-trafficking/
- Interview by Mission Freedom with Thomas Schirrmacher on human trafficking (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVN2MiTdLw
- Lecture “Standing up against human trafficking” by Thomas Schirrmacher (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2It4TiseI
- Lecture “Human trafficking – the return of slavery” by Thomas Schirrmacher (in German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4KXcl38gOo
- Posts on the website of Thomas Schirrmacher on the topic of “Human Trafficking”: https://www.thomasschirrmacher.net/category/menschenrechte/human-trafficking/