“2033” – WEA Joins Call to Global Church for a Decade of Great Commission Effort
(Bonn, 22.05.2023) The World Evangelical Alliance together with more than twenty global networks and ministries issued a call to the global Church for a decade of focusing on fulfilling the Great Commission. The statement follows a recent meeting of evangelical leaders hosted by Empowered21 Global Chair Dr. Billy Wilson and Dr. Rick Warren, Executive Director of Finishing the Task and Founding Pastor of Saddleback Church.
WEA Secretary General Bishop Dr. Thomas Schirrmacher and Deputy Secretary General for Ministries Rev. Samuel E. Chiang participated in the discussions and the writing of a commitment document. The participating 27 ministry leaders agreed to significant efforts over the next decade, including collaborating with one another, praying for the salvation of others, mobilizing followers of Jesus to join in the efforts, investing increased resources for evangelism and going with the good news to the ends of the earth.
Schirrmacher commented at that time that “after our meeting, the World Evangelical Alliance is even more committed to ‘2033.’ It was a great meeting of collaboration, planning and global leaders becoming friends for the gospel’s sake.”
As part of its journey towards 2033, the WEA will convene a Future of the Gospel Forum focused on key areas in society that are relevant for effective evangelism. The by-invitation-only event will be held on October 8–12, 2023 in Istanbul and serve as a stepping stone towards the next WEA General Assembly in 2025.
“The rising global generation is perhaps the most cause-oriented generation in the history of the world. This call and clear statement from the leadership of the global Church to reach everyone in the world with the love, truth and power of Jesus is going to be incredibly appealing for a decade of unprecedented evangelism,” said Rob Hoskins, President of OneHope who also serves as a Senior Advisor to the Secretary General of the WEA.
The following is the full statement:
A CALL TO THE GLOBAL CHURCH FOR A DECADE OF GREAT COMMISSION EFFORT
Recognizing the need of the more than 8 billion individuals on earth to hear and respond to the good news of Jesus Christ,
Believing that God our Savior has provided the way of salvation for all people through the mediating work of His Son and that it is not His will that any should perish but that everyone should come to repentance,
Responding to the commission of Jesus to go and make disciples of all nations, preaching the gospel to everyone in the power of the Holy Spirit,
Approaching the 2000 year anniversary of Christ’s Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost,
We therefore unite to:
- Collaborate with one another toward the fulfillment of the Great Commission
- Pray for the salvation of our family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and the people of the nations of the world
- Mobilize the followers of Jesus entrusted to our ministry and local churches in reaching every person on earth with His grace and truth
- Invest increased resources in evangelistic efforts especially for people who have never heard the gospel
- Go with the good news using every means available so that everyone has the opportunity to know Jesus Christ.
We dedicate our lives to obeying Christ’s command and call for the global Church to unite with us in making the next ten years the greatest decade of Great Commission effort in history.
1 Timothy 2:3-6; 2 Peter 3:9; Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15
Downloads and Links:
- Photo: The WEA joined more than two dozen ministry and network leaders in New York City to plan for a decade of Great Commission efforts towards 2033 © BQ/Martin Warnecke
- The “2033”-statement: https://bucer.org/fileadmin/dateien/Dokumente/BQs/BQ700ff/BQ751/2033_A_CALL_TO_THE_GLOBAL_CHURCH.pdf